The following comments are about the FB game MyVegas
these are comments I posted about how the game might improve, what I found frustrating and disappointing. I have included also the comments of a fan who was offended on the game’s behalf and leaped into defend its honor. I addressed my comments to this quixotic Don Q, but realized that as always I’m talking over his shoulder, pitched to the crowd behind him. My audience is always much larger (myself) and the like-minded world (like you, beloved readers.)
If your intention as a game designer is to sort out the real higher rollers who will just spin and spin and spend a couple of hundred dollars because they spend enough time in vegas anyway… well good on you.
For the rest of us, which in this economy is MOST people, playing games is a way to be fantasy millionaires. Games with real world benefits like WeTopia which gives money to charities and this and others which give POTENTIAL rewards to players are appealing because they make us feel that time spent playing games isn’t wasted. (Not entirely anyway.)
- The MyStrip should be more than a place to chip farm (and if it’s a chip farm then sit down with your game designer and ask yourselves WHY SO STINGY?)
- The Casino marquees show real events/shows. Why not let us earn points by clicking on them and going to off site pages. Add a level where we can enter the casinos and browse through stores, websites, etc. Too glitchy on FB? Take it to another server… like Zynga. Where we click and are actually exiting FB and its code dramas. But our scores, points, etc are sent back to FB so nothing is lost.
- Give us a third set of currency that can be used to fantasy shop for SIMs like items to decorate our “high roller suite”.
- Partner with Zynga or EA or the sims. You can either be one of their favored/temporary business partners who they then write an adventure for us players and we get virtual swag for playing in both MyVegas and Sims. Or just buy some code from them to make an inside casino thing for MyStrip.
- Slots could be a lot “looser”. One would think these perks and coupons were coming out of your pocket. You just make us feel stupid for playing and losing and losing. (Or are anti-gambling addicts involved in the code writing and it’s a lesson we’re supposed to learn in there somewhere?) All I learn is that the developers seem to be greedy little people who either don’t play games or don’t respect those of us who do.
I would really love an app version for Android where we can sign in from our phone and play.
WOW G.I. Morrison. You sound like a PROFESSIONAL GAMER! Although some of the suggestions are kinda cool, I happen to think that for the average person, like myself, this game is alot of fun. As far as them being stingy… they are letting you earn VIP points for FREE stuff for FREE ( if you don’t want to buy chips) most of the other slot games on FB don’t give you ANYTHING, even if you purchase chips. Maybe you should just NOT PLAY THE GAME if you don’t like it. I LOVE IT!!! Keep up the good work guys!
As I said above, I don’t play the other slots so I can’t compare. I am a professional GAME REVIEWER. As such, I thought and continue to think that my opinion (as it includes the hours and experience, if you include interviews with other gamers etc, a beejezus number of lifetime hours spent playing games) is valuable.
All games, including this one, wouldn’t survive without their hardcore fans. They have found one in you Raja and are lucky to have you. Good ‘on you, both for finding each other. Nothing wrong there.
However, I am assuming that the game also represents a real investment of cash and man hours by the casino and the games developers. They have created this forum and intend it to be used to better the game. I hope that they do so rather than simply troll for self-congratulatory back pats.
Casinos and other business are looking for adventurous and SUCCESSFUL ways to invest their advertising money. FB games is a new cutting edge way of doing that. There are dozens of other game only sites from Neopets to Zynga that do fun stuff to woo those ad bucks. Some of it results in more fun for gamers, loyalty rewards some tangible and some intangible.
You can offer me points toward getting a free car from a car lot in Kalamazoo.
WOW! How can they afford to give us each a free car? They don’t have to. Because how long will it take to earn those points and how many of us will give up before then? So they get an enormous amount of “eyeballs” on the ads and valuable buzz about the car/products… because basically by offering us a car or show tickets or a Las Vegas vacation we are drooling for it. We have been offered a forced choice and reclaim it as our heart’s desire.
Example: I was planning on taking my gf to Hawaii or the US Virgin Island or the fringe festival in Victoria British Columbia but playing this game has caused me to surf around thinking about when/how soon I could take a weekend getaway for two or a later family gambling vacation.
Oh yeah, I am suggestible. Very open to advertising. I am in that way a completely different, but equally prized, demographic.
What I plan to do is to keep playing the game. Even if it means just checking in and chip farming and spinning the chips into loyalty points. I will give myself a deadline such as family vegas trip next year at xmas. I will blog my progress. I will spin the experience into a variety of articles, funny blurbs, etc that I sell and resell because that’s what professional writers and gamers do. LOLz.
Hopefully I’ll have patience to play and actually cash in on some great goodies. (I’m also signed up for M life before I mark off the dates on the calendar, I will have signed up for every reward site and Las Vegas city council/tourist board swag bag known to man… and some fairly obscure ones. I’ll arrange to visit somethings with a travel agent pal and get their swag and how-to-sell vegas info. I’ll probably arrange to do quickie interviews with cooks and do food reviewing.) Cuz you’re right. This is my life. And my job. And both of them I treat like a game. A game I’m really good at.
I’m easily bored tho. So… Hey, Life! Wake up and fix the glitches and keep me entertained or I’ll go play something else.